If you have noticed our homepage counter, Sioux Empire United Way is quickly approaching our TWO MILLIONTH BOOK to be delivered through Dolly Parton's Imagination Library Program.
When we celebrated our one millionth book in 2011, Dolly Parton's congratulations messaged, "...From the bottom of my country heart, thank you so much for all you have done for children and I can't wait to hear about the 2 millionth book!"
We hope our celebration this time, will be loud enough that Dolly will be able to hear it all the way back home in Tennessee.
Here's how you can help:
- Share a photo of your child reading an Imagination Library, sitting in the middle of their collection, or checking their mailbox. We're looking for photos from the start of our program in 2001 all the way through our most recent book deliveries this month.*
- Share a congratulations or celebratory message with us and we'll pass them along to Dolly. Have you ever wanted to thank Dolly Parton for dreaming and building up the program? Have you ever wanted to thank Sioux Empire United Way for funding free books for children across the Sioux Empire? Here's your chance!
- Share your photos or messages on social media using: #TwoMillionthBook #SEUW and #ImaginationLibrary
- You can also email your photos and messages to email@example.com or mail hard copies to Sioux Empire United Way, 1000 N West Ave #120, Sioux Falls SD 57104.
We'll combine all shared images into a celebration worthy of the joy Imagination Library books have brought to children across the Sioux Empire.
Dolly Parton's Imagination Library Notes:
- The program was founded in 1996 in Dolly's home state of Tennessee.
- Sioux Empire United Way was one of the first affiliates outside of Tennessee when we funded the program in 2001.
- In 2002, South Dakota became the first state outside of Tennessee to offer the program across the state. United Ways in Madison, Mitchell, Watertown, Aberdeen, Huron, Pierre, Brookings, and the Black Hills offer the program in their community.
- When Sioux Empire United Way launched the program in 2001, just over 6,000 children received books. We currently deliver books to nearly 12,000 children each month.
- The program delivers a new book each month to children from birth until they turn five. The first book for every child is "The Little Engine That Could" and the final book celebrates their is "Look Out Kindergarten Here I Come."
*By sharing a photo or message with Sioux Empire United Way, you grant permission to Sioux Empire United Way to use the photo or message in online, print, and video communications.